Looking for easy ways to teach a Bible memory verse to a child? I have happy memories of Bible verse memorization as a child, and I believe Bible memory work is a big part of teaching kids about God.
But as busy mom, I need simple approaches to teaching scripture memorization to my kids. Are you with me?
Here's are the 3 easy ways I've learned to teach a Bible memory verse to kids. Plus, I'm sharing several lists of Bible memory verses (some of them easy memory verses) to make Bible memorization even simpler.
Ready? Let's get started!
3 Ways to Teach a Bible Memory Verse to Kids
Learn it, link it, live it: These are the three principles that I've found make it so much easier for kids to learn a Bible memory verse.
Let's take a closer look at these 3 easy Bible memory methods. I've also included some Bible memorizing ideas (such as Bible memory games) for inspiration.
Bible Memory Verse Technique #1: Learn it.
Bible verse memorization takes repetition and review–going over and over a memory verse until it’s locked in our memory.
And I've found that memory verses are remembered best when they are recalled repeatedly over several days.
For example, saying a verse twenty times in one day is not as helpful as saying it twice a day for ten days.
My suggestion is:
Twice daily said,
Over a ten-day spread –
Will embed in your head.
(my apologies for the painful rhyme)
5 Bible Memory Games That Help with Kids Bible Memorization
- Take turns reciting the memory verse using entertaining accents, like a deep southern drawl or Shakespearean stage voice.
- Sing the memory verse to an operatic style, rap beat, or familiar tune.
- Display the passage where your family can see it daily.
- Place a memory verse card beside your child’s bed for cozy nighttime review.
- Keep a memory verse card in the car for when you are out and about.
Bible Memory Verse Technique #2: Link it.
Associating and connecting a memory verse to something else – a picture, activity, motion, or melody – enhances our ability to recall. This also makes for easy scripture memorization.
Bible memory links are especially important for young children. Good links connect their concrete thinking to abstract spiritual concepts. It gives them a “hook” to hang the words on.
3 Scripture Linking Ideas (with 3 Easy Memory Verses)
- The butterfly is a helpful illustration of our new life in Christ. “…if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation” (2 Corinthians 5:17). Purchase a butterfly kit. Tape a verse card to the outside. Then watch as the caterpillars transform into new masterpieces.
- A flashlight is a handy learning link for Psalm 119:105, “Your word in a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” Give your child his own flashlight and write the verse on the handle.
- A wilted Mother’s Day bouquet is an visual (and smelly) learning link for Isaiah 40:8, “The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever.” Write the verse on an index card and tape it to the vase.
Scripture memory links are everywhere: in the sky, at the park, around home.
It’s simply a matter of seeing them and seizing them!
Bible Memory Verse Technique #3: Live it.
Theodore Roosevelt once said, “I have a horror of words that are not translated into deeds, of speech that does not result in action.”
Application moves Bible memory verses from our heads to our hearts. We must teach our kids to put those awesome Bible memory verses into action!
Brainstorm how your family can live a verse – and then do it. Put feet to your faith, and motion to your Bible verse memorization.
4 Ideas on How to Live Scripture (and 4 Easy Bible Memory Verses)
- Pray for someone who has wronged you and ask God to bless him (Matthew 5:44).
- Send a card to encourage a missionary family serving in a hostile area (Hebrews 13:3).
- Bring dinner and a bag of groceries to an elderly widow and keep her company for a while (James 1:27).
- Some verses are lived by believing they are true. After all, “the righteous shall live by faith” (Romans 1:17).
Bible Memory Games that Kids Love
If you're looking for specific scripture memory tools (that use songs, art and games to learn Bible memory verses) you've got to see this post:
21 Fun & Free Bible Memory Verse Games
This book also has more ideas on Bible memory work for kids.
Lists of Bible Verses to Memorize (by Topic)
- 38 Wisdom Bible Verses for Children
- Ultimate List of Bible Verses About Love
- Want More Happy? 20 Bible Verses About Joy and Happiness
About Alicia Michelle
Alicia Michelle is a certified NeuroCoach™, Bible teacher, speaker and host of The Christian Mindset Coach Podcast and You Tube Show. More importantly, she’s a lover of Jesus, a wife of 21 years to her best friend, and mom of four amazing kids ages 19 to 10. Alicia struggled with overthinking, negative thoughts and “being enough” for most of her adult life until God radically transformed her heart after a life-threatening medical crisis. Now through her signature courses and coaching programs she loves equipping women with practical, scientific and biblically-based mindset tools to help them overcome negative thought patterns and discover more confident, joyful lives in Christ. Listen to her on the podcast or on You Tube; download free workshop trainings at VibrantChristianLiving.com; and connect on Facebook and Instagram.
- Web |
- More Posts(414)